Tuesday, November 25, 2014

61

25-November-2014

So far a very special day indeed. Got to spend time with both my boys. Heard from Annie who made it to Australia to spend the "summer" there with Clare her long-time friend from her childhood in Newcastle.

Gabe wished me a "Happy Birthday" and we hung around the kitchen counter reminiscing a bit about his paternal grandfather that he never got to know and how he had died just 1 day after his 61st birthday. So this day, and tomorrow, are kind of personal milestone days for one when one outlives one or both of one's parents. I've still got a great target in Mom - 91 years old, still on her own and going strong!

Aaron called first and then came by for a very special surprise visit. Got all caught up with him. Got to hear about Joe, Joey, and Gee - roommates. Aaron was on the computer applying for jobs and chatting about various things going on with his life. It was really great; I just got to sit there and listen and interject from time to time. Super special.

I gave Aaron an old MP3 player and a set of head phones. We laughed as he read off the songs I had on there. (I hadn't used the player in years. But I still like the songs/artists: Ohio Players; Earth Wind & Fire, that genre of 70's music from my college days.) He proceeded to erase those and replace with his own music preferences which I didn't ask as I'm sure I wouldn't know many, if any. Nonetheless, that's the way music is - personal.

Then my traditional walk to a special place -- this time it was the coal creek trail area in Lafayette still undergoing repairs from the floods of September 2013. About .75 miles away or so - a nice walk. Still the sun was shining, temperature in the mid 40's (F) and the traditional long shadow was cast. (The long shadow is a throwback to 1971 High School Year book. I'll have to drag that out sometime. Took the traditional short video. Realized I was holding the phone video wrong - so I'll have to adjust for that faux pas with software. Ah... software. I love it. Software in general. Anyway, back to the video. I'll post that here. I'm also thinking of posting the series to date (started this tradition, I think at the 55 marker - "double fives" as I said) here for easy future reference. We'll see.

Traditional Bday Video clips on Smugmug:
  • 2014 - 61
25-November-2014, Tuesday, Coal Creek (east side) - #61


Next off to the local supermarket (already starting to get busy in anticipation of the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday in 2 days) for some goodies. A pair of 1 serving satin chocolate cream pies for Gabe and me -- that will be the "birthday cake" as far as I'm concerned. Hey, it's my present to me. :)


blog comments powered by Disqus